About three weeks ago, a thread was posted on Reddit that asked fast food workers what we should not order from their restaurants and why, catching the attention of national news sites such as The Huffington Post and FOX News. I felt it my civic duty to help spread the gross gospel that are these fast food horror stories.
However, as one Redditor points out in the thread, “Almost every fast food restaurant is independently operated as a franchise. Take every one of these answers with a grain of salt.”
1. “Former Starbucks worker here. Please don’t order anything off the “Secret Menu”. It doesn’t exist.
If you want a snickerdoodle, Nutella, or Captain Crunch Frappuccino (or whatever other overly sugary thing someone has since come out with), know the base drink and the modifications, and order that. If you just say the name, it’s up to the barista to come up with what’s in the drink, and it may not be what the last barista you ordered from put in there.”
2. “I used to work at McDonalds. If you order, especially chicken nuggets, just ask for them fresh. Otherwise they’ve been just sitting in their container in the heat. They have a timer, but nine out of 10 times when that timer goes off, people just reset the timer instead of making new ones. This could go on until all the nuggets are sold.”
3. “Milkshakes at Jack in the Box if you’re allergic to fruit. We do not clean the mixer very well, and it’s used for smoothies and milkshakes.”
4. “Worked at Subway 2010-12. Only thing I have to say is that tuna and seafood packaged used to have a label on it that said that it didn’t contain dolphin or turtles in the meat. Then that label suddenly disappeared in 2012.”
5. “I used to work in a baseball park concession stand. The short answer is not to order anything, but if you absolutely have to buy something, don’t buy the hotdogs.”
6. “Taco Johns reporting for all you midwesterners. I would steer clear of the beans, at least outside of peak hours, because they sit on the hot table for a long long time and when they dry out, just add water. Everything else is pretty solid though. Worked there a couple years back in 2007-2009 and still love going back to get my fix.”
7. “Former Little Caesars manager here. Some franchises are different, but I wouldn’t order any Crazy Bread, Jalepeno Bread, or Italian Bread. The sh*t they dress it with out of the oven is NOT butter; it’s some nasty imitation that comes in a huge bottle and does not need to be refrigerated.”
8. “Worked at KFC for about four years. The BBQ sandwich is actually made from chicken too old and stale to give to the homeless shelters, so they soak it in BBQ sauce until it can be pulled and then they keep it on the heater for a month.”
9. “I work for McDonald’s and make sure everyone that matters to me never orders anything that comes out of the “McCafe” machine as these are routinely neglected, in practically all the McDonalds.”
10. “I worked at Taco Bell a little bit ago and I warn everyone to stay away from both the beans, and the steak. The beans start out looking like cat food, and the directions are, ‘Add water and stir until you can’t see white anymore.’ The steak was just the worst on dish duty. if it would sit too long it would become like hair gel. It was the worst.”